March 1, 2014
- 1pound Andouille sausage or other spicy smoked sausage, sliced 1/4″ thick
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1cup celery diced
- 1 cup seeded diced fresh tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper minced
- 2t paprika
- 2t oregano chopped
- 1t fresh thyme
- ½ bunch parsley chopped and divided
- 2T tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 pound of raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- Sauté Andouille sausage in olive oil over medium heat for 5 minutes to render out fat and flavor, remove sausage and reserve.
- In the same pot add butter and sweat onions peppers and celery for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno, paprika, oregano, thyme, parsley, bay leaves and tomato.
- Cook for about 4 minutes until well combine, add stock and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and sausage, reduce heat to medium and put a lid on allowing it to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid add shrimp and lemon juice mix well, put lid back on and allow to steam for 5 minutes on the heat.
- Once rice is tender and shrimp are cooked remove from heat and allow sitting for 10 minutes, garnish with parsley and serve.