- 6 pounds beef short ribs
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 large white onion, peeled
- 1 small bunch thyme
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 stalks celery, cut into large pieces, leaves intact
- 12 medium carrots, peeled and quartered
- 8 leeks, washed, cut lengthwise and then into large pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds turnips, peeled and quartered(optional)
- 1 1/2 pounds small potatoes
- Place short ribs in the stockpot with enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, skimming often. As soon as the water boils, turn it the heat down so that it is just at a low simmer.
- Push the cloves into the onion and place it into the stockpot, along with a separate cheesecloth bundle containing thyme, peppercorns, and bay leaves.
- Season the mixture with the salt and continue simmering it, uncovered, for 2 1/2 hours. Add water, if needed, to keep the meat covered. Do not allow the mixture come to a boil.
- Add the celery, carrots, leeks, and turnips to the pot and continue simmering for an additional 25 minutes until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Remove the meat and vegetables and discard the clove-studded onion. Serve meat and vegetables on a platter.
- Strain the broth through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Return the broth to a clean saucepan and bring it to boil for about 10 to 15 minutes, until it has reduced in volume and has a good, strong flavor.
- Season it with additional salt, if needed. Transfer the hot broth to a serving bowl alongside the meat and vegetable platter.
(Makes 8 to 10 servings.)